LIFE'S CRAVINGS....because everyone wants something more out of life...

There is so much to see / hear / taste / touch / sense / write / draw / dance / play / love / do / be

Sunday, May 25, 2008

CRYING

Shedding tears is something I do quite easily. Whenever I see a sappy commercial or movie, hear a memorable song, or find myself in a particularly moving moment, the tears very easily fall from my eyes. But I hardly let myself cry. Crying, to me, is something that springs from the depths of my heart and soul and pours out onto the open world for everyone to see. Although I’m quite open when I write, I am not so when I cry. If I can avoid crying and letting my emotions overwhelm me, I do.
But this is also why, when I do cry, it sometimes feels like I’m approaching the verge of a nervous breakdown. The triggers vary, as does the depth of the well of tears. Sometimes it seems like the pain won’t go away, that the tears won’t run out, and that I just might run out of breath trying to catch it.
This article that I found in my inbox, which the Universe sent my way this morning, is a good reminder to just let the feelings flow. Crying isn’t a sign of weakness; being unable to handle our emotions well is.

Taken from the Daily Om:
Most of us have had the experience of holding back our emotions for such a long period of time that when they finally come out, we have something resembling a breakdown. This is because we are releasing feelings that have accumulated over a long period of time, and whatever inspired the release was just a catalyst for a much larger, much needed catharsis.
When we find ourselves in the midst of such an experience, it is important that we allow it to happen, rather than fight it or try to shut down. Wherever we are, we can try to find a private, safe place in which to let our feelings out. If we can not access such a place immediately, we can promise to set aside some time for ourselves at our earliest possible convenience, perhaps taking a day off work. The important thing is that we need to give our emotional system some much-needed attention.

No comments: